Asian Inspired Lettuce Wraps
Makes 2 big servings
Here is what you will need:
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 to 2 TBS ginger, peeled and grated
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 pound ground chicken
• 8 ounces white button mushrooms, stems removed, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
• 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 2 cups shredded green cabbage
• 1 carrot, shredded ( I forgot to buy carrots!!)
• 1 bunch scallions, sliced
• 1 head bib lettuce, leaves separated
• 2 tablespoons rice Sriracha (Asian chili sauce) for serving.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
Add the chicken and cook, stirring and breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon, until crumbly and browned, about 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and stir until nice and soft, about 4 minutes.
Stir in the hoisin sauce, soy sauce and vinegar and bring to a simmer. Cook until the liquid reduces and the pan is nearly dry.
While the sauce reduces, shred the cabbage.
Stir in the cabbage and carrot, which I forgot to buy at the store!! Toss until the cabbage wilts down just a little.
Make sure you taste the dish and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Remove from the heat and sprinkle in the scallions, reserving a few.
Place in a bowl and top with reserved scallions.
Serve the mixture spooned into lettuce leaves and wrapped like a taco.